HIPAA regulations cover basic and sound methods to safeguard medical information
in both electronic and paper form.
Patient confidentiality policies must be followed in all practices.
SmartDoctor® software exceeds HIPAA requirements, and requires users to
adhere to basic privacy guidelines. SmartDoctor® software design ensures
that patients’ electronic medical records are much more secure than
For example, SmartDoctor:
- Allows only a doctor or nurse to gain online access to a patient's
HIV status, religion, habits, sexual history, etc., one patient at a time.
Further, this access is recorded in the system.
- Limits access by password.
- Limits access by job classification.
- Requires secondary passwords for sign-out by providers and nurses,
equivalent to electronic signatures.
- Offers multiple management password levels.
- Audits significant actions by user, time, an location.
- Tracks and reports users that don't log off properly.
- Has a stratified level of protection, and also provides information for your
security officer (which may be you for a solo practice) to take corrective
action when needed.
- Encrypts any transaction using the internet through a virtual private network
(VPN) or secure (ssh) communication method.
- Automatically backs-up and verifies data.
Below are are the official locations of specific sections of HIPAA regulations
dealing with access to protected health information, and therefore computer
systems, that allow such access.
Original Regulations from: Federal Register / Vol. 65, No. 250 /
Thursday, December 28, 2000 / Rules and Regulations.
Revised Privacy sub-sections from: Federal Register / Vol. 67, No. 157 /
Wednesday, August 14, 2002 / Rules and Regulations.
For the latest information go to:
cpr CPR emr EMR EHR health computerized patient records COMPUTERIZED PATIENT
RECORDS electronic medical records ELECTRONIC MEDICAL RECORDS FREE free
Contact us via e-mail at:
or phone us at: 800-747-4154(815-578-8329)